This wine is a compact and ruby-red still wine with a nose of prunes and spices together with roasted oak. It has an important level of tannic especially the young wines. We, as a contradiction to most Freisa wines, mature the wine for up to 18 months in French oak barrels. After few years of additional maturing in its bottle it will develop a harmonious taste of red berries, spices and oak.
Oak matured Langhe DOC Freisa is a full-bodied powerful wine and a perfect match for red meats, games and aged cheeses.
The wine is best served at around 18°C. It can be drunk young, but two to four years of further maturing will for sure develop and round the wine further. Pour the wine into a decanter preferable using a funnel before serving. The wine can be stored for more than 10 years.
The Freisa grape has been cultivated for many years in Piedmont. It is still not very well-known outside of Italy, but this is now changing as its distribution outside Italy has increased in recent years.
- Grape variety: 100% Freisa
- Vineyard planted: 1997
- Viticulture area: 5500 m2 south exposed vineyard 375 m above sea level
in Frazione Valdivilla, Santo Stefano Belbo
- Soil: Marly calcareous
- Climate: Cold winters with normal seasonal progression. Good rainfall, especially in the fall, summers are warm and dry with good humidity
- Pruning: Traditional Guyot’
- Harvest: Harvested by hand. Freisa is usually harvested at the end of September or beginning of October.
- Vinification: Hereafter it is matured approx. 15 months French oak in barrels before being bottled.